Forward Dallas! Vision – Making the dreams a reality!
Everyone loves his or her homeland, so do we – the residents of Dallas. No matter whether we are from Pleasant Grove or Lake Highlands or Hidden Valley, there is something that is common among us and that is the love for Dallas.
We all celebrate the spirit of Dallas through our vibrant cultures, varied lifestyles and various standards of living. Forward Dallas is the product of our own forward thinking, distinct dreams and desires. It is a Comprehensive Planning process that envisages the city of Dallas as a city of unique neighborhoods; a city that provides its residents with exceptional employment opportunities and is filled with busy transit centers, safe parks and a flourishing urban downtown.
How was the vision crafted?
The creators of the vision for Forward Dallas are we the people of Dallas. The plan came into existence when we polled for it and gave our ideas about what we want for our future. The plan presents guidelines and strategies for future development of the city. It has been crafted with the help of community’s vision and priorities, which aims to improve the livability of our city by offering bustling commercial centers, better transportation options and top-notch opportunities in the fields of arts, education, entertainment and environment.
Forward Dallas is a bold, far-sighted and comprehensive plan that is built from other plans like – the 1987 City of Dallas Growth Policy Plan, the 1994 Dallas Plan, the Trinity River Corridor Comprehensive Land Use Plan and many other plans. But the final document was developed only when hundreds of Dallasites contributed their dreams and ideas to it.
What are its Core Values?
With the help of a diverse mix of people including business leaders, public agency leaders, neighborhood representatives and concerned citizens, these 6 core values were adopted as the foundation of forward Dallas vision:
Education and Employment: We all want to see our children prospering and leading a meaningful life. This can happen only when the opportunities for a productive education system and a wide range of good jobs will be available.
Public Safety: Freedom is something, we all cherish the most. This freedom can be achieved only when we are safe and free from worries. For this, public safety is the priority.
Healthy Environment: It is important to conserve and protect the natural resources for present and future generations. That’s why we want a beautiful city with healthy water, air, trees and parks.
Job Growth: Southern Dallas has lots of scope for development and progression. With new opportunities of jobs and better physical infrastructure, this area can become a great place to live and work.
Convenient Transportation: Dallasites want more efficient, reliable and safe means of transportation that include better public transit and attractive streets to walk.
Quality of Life: We all have our distinct choices and preferences when it comes to recreational, cultural and educational opportunities. With this project, we expect to get varied choices in the ways of living, shopping and having fun.
What Common Themes Did Emerge?
With the help of thousands of Dallas residents and business leaders, some common themes were identified. These common themes have conveyed our expectations from this project. We want the forward Dallas plan to:
- Provide better design and utility of many streets all through the city.
- Protect and preserve the existing neighborhood at a citywide level.
- Repose on the success of historic preservation in the community.
- Provide better and a variety of job opportunities.
- Bring housing closer to jobs. This will save time along with improving the quality of life and the environment as beautiful communities will develop in these areas.
- Provide better opportunities for owner-occupied housing that includes single family homes, townhouses and condos.
- Provide various housing choices for the people at various income levels.
- Promote prosperity throughout the city by providing investing opportunities.
- Be based on the strengths of Downtown Dallas.
- Pursue the theme of redevelopment, rehabilitation and revitalization.
- Connect communities with the Trinity River and nature.
- Build from the existing plans like Oak Lawn Planned Development.
- Provide a wide range of land use options and scale.
- Capitalize on existing and proposed transit centers to use the public investment in a better way.
What Key Initiatives Steps are taken?
“Forward Dallas” plan is based on these 6 key initiatives that are the base of its “policy plan” and “implementation plan”:
Enhancing the Economy: Forward Dallas is based on the assumption of “balancing land use”, which focuses on investment in Southern Sector and strengthening downtown. This will make our city a place where excellent amenities are offered for all types of families.
Making Quality Housing More Accessible: The ultimate aim of forward Dallas plan is to make our city more vibrant, prosperous and inviting city. In order to accomplish this goal, forward Dallas focuses on providing a diversity of housing options for Dallas’s diverse population.
Creating strong and Healthy Neighborhood: The plan offers the people of Dallas (irrespective of their cultural and economical diversity) equal access to quality neighborhoods with all necessary amenities like good schools, parks, sports facilities and community centers.
Enhancing Transportation System: Transit oriented development is the key component of forward Dallas plan, in which it is ensured that all workers, visitors and residents have transportation options.
Ensuring Environmental Sustainability: Forward Dallas focuses on improving air quality, water quality, promoting energy efficiency, enhancing open space. This will give the Dallasites healthier natural and urban environment.
Encouraging New Development Patterns: “Building Blocks” are the new development patterns that are developed to achieve the vision of forward Dallas. They incorporate both existing and future development of transportation, urban design, community centers, employment areas and housing.
Types of Building Blocks
Downtown: The downtown building block focuses on making the area a major transit hub for rails, buses and local systems. Significant public investment will make this heart of our city a center for all types of commercial activities, which will be supported by high density housing. Its key components are mixed-use development and urban design for pedestrian accessibility.
Campus: These building blocks are the areas around big educational, institutional or business facilities. The forward Dallas project focuses on developing a variety of shops, offices and public transit system here so that the students, employees and visitors can get more support and these areas can be connected to greater Dallas area.
Urban Mixed-use: These blocks are near Downtown and will integrate housing, commercial activities and jobs. These areas will provide the residents with great opportunities to live, work, play shop, and give good access to public transit system.
Multi Modal Corridors: These blocks are also called transit centers as they are mainly located around DART light-rail or commuter rail lines. Out of all types of building blocks, these ones incorporate the largest variety of building structures and land uses. Forward Dallas plan offers the development of interactive public plazas and civic uses in these areas.
Main Streets: Main Street is the place for living, working and shopping. These are the active areas that are attractive and easily navigable by the pedestrians. The main focus of forward Dallas plan in this area is to upgrade streets and walkways.
Urban Neighborhoods: These areas will offer a wide range of housing options including single-family detached dwellings, condos and townhomes. The forward Dallas project plans to develop various shops and offices in these areas so that the residents can get all necessary services and job opportunities within the walking distance. Also, various parks, pathways, pedestrian oriented landscaping, transit stops and road will be developed.
Business Centers: These blocks are the main employment and shopping areas outside the downtown. Bold lighting, low- to mid-rise residential buildings, high-rise office towers, linear landscaping and tree lined boulevards will be some of the main features of these areas.
Industrial Areas: These blocks offer major employment opportunities. They are near main roads and heavy rail lines. The forward Dallas will develop logistics and warehousing industry in these areas. Also, the plans are to develop low-density buildings, industrial yards, and surface parking for cars and trucks.
Commercial Centers: These areas are mainly known as job destinations. The project focuses on developing multifamily housing, large shopping centers and incorporating landscaping and urban design features in these areas.
Residential Neighborhoods: These blocks are the important parts of forward Dallas project. They focus on developing the traditional neighborhood of single-family detached homes that will integrate shops, restaurants, schools, religious centers. Also, parks, trails and roads will be developed to improve the quality of life.
Natural Areas and the Trinity River
The Forward Dallas plan will develop thousands of acres of parkland, conserve open spaces and will restore streams to enhance the natural heritage of our city Dallas.
In The End
Thus, Forward Dallas is a comprehensive plan that has been developed to improve the future of Dallas. It focuses on giving us more and improved housing choices, cleaner air, safer neighborhoods, an outstanding downtown, safer parks and other amenities within walking distance.
Forward Dallas is our plan that is envisioned by us (the people of Dallas) and it has been developed to make our city everything that it could be and should be for us and our forthcoming generations.
Businesses That Are Helping Push Dallas Forward:
- Got that special someone that you want to show your love for on Valentine’s or Mother’s Day? Send them to I Love Roses Florest for excellent flower delivery in Dallas.
- If you’re looking for a top-notch museum that can be enjoyed by the whole family, the new Perot Museum is really great. It is beautiful, unique, fun, and interesting. It works for kids and parents.
- Houses may be inexpensive here in Dallas, but furnishing them can still be very expensive. Sales tax is higher, so that makes purchasing furniture for our large houses expensive. We are fans of: Savvy Shopper Direct Dallas – Cheap Furniture. They have great deals because they focus their business not on all of the United States, but specific local areas like Dallas/Fort-Worth.
- We are fans of the Dallas Mavs as well. They have been an integral part of revitalizing the area just north of Downtown Dallas. It is amazing how much nicer and safer it feels when compared to 20 years ago.
- We like to see people and businesses that we put a high amount of trust in, act ethically 100% of the time. While I’m sure they’re human and not perfect, we have heard from a lot of family and friends about Vantage Point Counseling helping people cope with life’s problems. Sex Therapy an Gay Couple’s Counseling are a few of their specialties that you don’t find in many Psychology practices.
- If you’re not looking for basketball, but you’re still looking for a sports team in Dallas that you can have fun at the games, then we also like the Dallas Stars (although not quite as much as the Mavs). They play and work in the same building as the Mavs.
- If you or a family member is dealing with an alcohol or drugs addiction, then getting treatment is the 1st step on the path to recovery. Addiction is a disease and can be treated with commitment and, yes, help from others. We recommend these Dallas Rehab Facilities to help you on your recovery. Once you or your family member is clean, then try out Real Deal Recovery for a sober living house.
- Plano, TX is one of the hottest cities in the nation. Many new families are moving to Plano and looking for new homes to live in. We recommend these Plano Home Builders if you plan on building a custom home in Plano.
- Getting a high quality custom business sign to market your company can make or break the success of your business. We recommend Turner Sign System‘s Neon Signs Dallas to help attract your target market.
- I always seem to have a few things to throw away that I just can’t get to. Also, when I move, it is nice to have a bulk garbage removal service. These Dallas Trash Pickup Services are inexpensive and will help you keep Dallas clean.
- Dallas is a major women’s fashion hub, so don’t ignore the fashion here! We really like the Fashion and Frills blog.
- Here is the best Asian Food in Dallas — Green Papaya. They move Dallas Forward by making super yummy food. If you haven’t been there, you’re missing out.
- Halff Engineering is one of the most respected engineering firms in all of Texas. They have over a dozen locations.
- If you’d like to volunteer at a great organization that really makes Dallas a better place, don’t forget about Big Brother’s Big Sisters. If you don’t have the time to volunteer, you can always donate. I’ve volunteered with them and it has had a huge impact on one young man’s life. Great stuff!
- Promote your business with great Dallas SEO Consultant help — like this Geek. This guy geeks out on it and can get you actual Internet Marketing and Search Engine Optimization results. Here is a great Local SEO Guide Video by the Dallas SEO Geek.
- My wife is a celiac and she loves pizza, but the frozen gluten-free pizza’s at the store are not very good. So, its great that Picasso’s Pizza will make AND deliver gluten-free pizza to you!
- Does your business need a cost effective used forklift? http://www.reconditioned-forklifts.com/ comes highly recommended.